Associate Professor of English
PhD, University of Chicago
Meet Professor Tharaud through OpenBook: An English Dept Podcast - Part 1 & Part 2.
Early American literature and culture; print culture and media; American religious history; art history and visual culture; theories of space and place; the American West.
- "Western Salvage: Scarcity, Settler Colonialism, and Adaptation in Wallace Stegner's Wolf Willow." ISLE: Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment, isab019 (Spring 2021).
- "The Metahybrid Environment: Rewilding, Religion, and the Buffalo Commons Novel." Western American Literature 55.4 (Winter 2021): 351-386.
- "Apocalyptic Geographies: Religion, Media, and the American Landscape" (Princeton University Press, 2020) *Finalist, Religion and the Arts Book Award, American Academy of Religion.
- "Evangelical Space: The Oxbow, Religious Print, and the Moral Landscape in America." American Art 28.3 (Fall 2014): 52-75.
- "So far heathen': Thoreau, the Missionary Memoir, and Walden's Cosmic Modernity." ESQ: A Journal of the American Renaissance 59.4 (2013): 618-61.
- "The Evangelical Press, Harriet Beecher Stowe, and the Human Medium." Arizona Quarterly 69. 2 (Summer 2013): 25-54.
- "Emerson's Geographical Imagination: Private Journeys of Grief and Healing through the American Landscape." Nineteenth-Century Prose 30 (2003): 102-135.
Articles for a General Readership
- "Sliding into History," Montana Quarterly 13.4 (Winter 2017): 38-47.
- "Housebreaking," Montana Quarterly 11.3 (Fall 2015): 60-65.
Selected Courses Taught
- Imagining Apocalypse (ENG 136a)
- Environmental Literature in an Age of Extinction (ENG 28A)
- The Great American Picture Book (ENG 110B)
- The American Renaissance (ENG 6a)
- Reading the American Revolution (ENG 146a)
- Frontier Visions: The West in American Literature and Culture (AMST/ENG 47a)
- American Literary Geographies (ENG 247a)
- Religion and Literature (ENG 250a)
Selected Podcast Appearance
- Recall This Book episode 76: "Land-Grab Universities with Robert Lee (Jerome Tharaud, JP)"