Getting Started

What can I talk to an advocate about?

Below are some ideas of what we could talk about. Every idea on this tool is optional, and we can talk about things not on this list, too!

Emotional Safety, such as...

  • I just want to talk
  • grounding and/or coping skills
  • referrals to ongoing therapy (on or off campus)
  • the emotional safety of a friend, family member, classmate, or anyone else

Physical Safety, such as...

  • my physical safety of myself or someone else
  • information about seeking immediate medical care
  • changing my room, suite, or apartment
  • a way to formally keep someone away from me, like a No Contact Order
Academics, such as...
  • classes or assignments I’ve missed/failed because of what I’ve experienced
  • a financial issue related to what I have experienced
Reporting, such as...
  • what it might look like to report to the Office of Equal Opportunity
  • what it might look like to report to the police

Resources, such as...

  • other on-campus or off-campus resources that might help me
  • books, websites, or other information for myself or a friend

Advocates & Therapists: What's the difference?

Advocates at PARC can offer immediate emotional support, information about options and resources, and help planning for safety related to experiences of violence, such as developing coping skills and filing for a restraining order. 

Therapists’ areas of expertise focus on long-term processing of trauma. Many people who meet with an advocate at PARC also see a therapist for support either while they are working with PARC or not until after.