Admissions RequirementsPhD: All students who have completed a Bachelor's degree in computer science or a closely related field are eligible to apply to the PhD in computer science.
Master's: The MS in Computer Science is a two-track program designed for students with undergraduate degrees in any field. The 9 course, three-semester MS track is for students with undergraduate majors in computer science; the 12 course, four-semester MS track is for students who have a bachelor's degree in another field who wish to prepare for a PhD or a career in computer science. Student backgrounds will be evaluated by faculty committee for the appropriate track.
To apply, you need to submit:
- An online application;
- An application fee;
- Transcripts from all universities and colleges attended must be uploaded to your application; do not mail official transcripts to our office. For more information, visit Frequently Asked Questions;
- Letters of recommendation, submitted electronically. The PhD program requires three letters of recommendation; the MS requires two letters of recommendation; the BA/MS program requires one letter of recommendation.
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé;
- A statement of purpose indicating your reasons for undertaking graduate study. In addition, please describe your qualifications for the academic program and your objectives in undertaking this program.
- Standardized tests: PhD: Graduate Record Exam (GRE) required (On average, PhD students are in the 85% in verbal and 95% in quantitative.) Master’s: GRE required. BA/MA: GRE not required. Our GRE institution code is 3092 (please note: this institution code only applies to GRE scores).
- International applicants: Additional requirements for international applicants (non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent residents), minimum TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores, and important information regarding visas. If you are submitting TOEFL scores, please note that our TOEFL institution code is 3261.
PhD: January 15
Master’s: The deadline is rolling through April 1. Please note that the application could close before April 1 if the cohort is full. We do not have spring admissions and accept applications for the fall only.
BA/MS: Current undergraduates should apply for the BA/MA program during their sixth semester at Brandeis using our online application.
For a more comprehensive description of application requirements, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions.