Admissions RequirementsPhD: All students who have completed a Bachelor's degree in computer science or a closely related field are eligible to apply to the PhD in computer science.
Master's: The MS in Computer Science is a two-track program designed for students with undergraduate degrees in any field. The 9 course, three-semester MS track is for students with undergraduate majors in computer science; the 12 course, four-semester MS track is for students who have a bachelor's degree in another field who wish to prepare for a PhD or a career in computer science. Student backgrounds will be evaluated by faculty committee for the appropriate track.
To apply, you need to submit:
- An online application;
- An application fee;
- Transcripts from all universities and colleges attended must be uploaded to your application; do not mail official transcripts to our office. For more information, visit Frequently Asked Questions;
- Letters of recommendation, submitted electronically. The PhD program requires three letters of recommendation; the MS requires two letters of recommendation; the BA/MS program requires one letter of recommendation.
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé;
- A statement of purpose indicating your reasons for undertaking graduate study. In addition, please describe your qualifications for the academic program and your objectives in undertaking this program.
- Standardized tests: Please note that if you are applying for the 2021-2022 academic year, results from the GRE general test are strongly recommended, but not required. Typically, the GRE general test is an application requirement for the PhD and MS programs (and waived for Brandeis undergraduates applying to the dual Bachelor’s/Master’s program). However, for this admissions cycle, your application will receive full consideration even if you are unable to take the exam. Our GRE institution code is 3092 (please note: this institution code only applies to GRE scores). MyBest™ scores from ETS will not be accepted.
- Additional Requirements for International Applicants: Score report from one of the following English language proficiency exams: TOEFL iBT, TOEFL Revised Paper-delivered Test, TOEFL ITP Plus for China Solution, IELTS Academic, PTE Academic, or Duolingo English Test. You can arrange for the delivery of your TOEFL iBT or Revised Paper-delivered Test score report by providing ETS with our institution code, 3261 (no department code is necessary); please note that MyBest™ scores from ETS will not be accepted. Delivery of your TOEFL ITP Plus scores can be arranged via your Vericant account, delivery of your Duolingo scores can be arranged via your Duolingo account, and delivery of your PTE Academic scores can be arranged via your Pearson account. Further information about this requirement can be found on the International Students page.
PhD: January 15
Master’s: The deadline is rolling through May 1. Please note that the application could close before May 1 if the cohort is full. We do not have spring admissions and accept applications for the fall only.
BA/MS: Current undergraduates should apply for the BA/MA program during their sixth semester at Brandeis using our online application.
For a more comprehensive description of application requirements, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions.