Courtesy Research Appointments for Recent PhD Alums
Created February 2021
In order to support our current PhD students and recent graduates who are navigating the academic job market cycle, GSAS encourages departments to consider instituting courtesy research appointments for new and recent graduates. This will allow the individual to retain library and research privileges, as well as creating a legitimate appointment to justify the continued use of Brandeis letterhead. This is a courtesy position only, with no renumeration or faculty status. Below is the administrative process.
Any questions about this policy can be sent to the Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs, Alyssa Stalsberg Canelli (email@example.com)
- The recent graduate must initiate their request to become a Visiting Research Scholar or a Visiting Research Scientist through the appropriate academic administrator in their department.
- Along with the request, they must submit their CV, the length of appointment requested and the faculty sponsor name.
- The academic administrator will forward the request to the Workday Academic Partner in the department who will initiate the process in Workday. If there is a question about who is designated as the Workday Academic Partner, please contact Wajiha Chaudhry (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The faculty sponsor and the department chair (or designee) must approve the appointment.
- The Workday Academic Partner will confirm the appointment with the recent graduate.