Off-Campus Federal Work-Study Employment Policies


  • Undergraduate students with Federal Work-Study may work at an approved off-campus agency through the Brandeis Student Employment Program. The agency must be willing to pay 50% of your wages on a monthly basis.

  • The employer must be a nonprofit agency and provide proof of 501(c)(3) status.

  • Not all employers with 501(c)(3) will meet the eligibility criteria and students may not begin working prior to approval by the Office of Student Financial Services and completion of all required documents.

  • Students are especially encouraged to seek off-campus jobs involving community service activities.

    • This includes jobs in: literacy training, health care, childcare, education (including tutorial services), welfare, social services, transportation, housing and neighborhood improvement, public safety, crime prevention and control, recreation, rural development, and community improvement.

  • Once your FWS allotment is reached, you must stop working at the agency through the Student Employment program. You can continue to work as an employee of the agency independently if they so choose. You can not become a volunteer in the same position, it is against FWS regulations.

  • It is possible that the University may expend its total allotted FWS amount prior to an individual student earning their award. In such instance, the student would need to cease employment under the work study agreement.

Off-Campus Federal Work-Study Jobs