For requirements for summer study abroad, please see the Summer Study Abroad section.
Brandeis Requirements to Study Abroad During the Academic Year
- Have a compelling academic reason to study off campus that relates to your overall academic plan at Brandeis.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 by the Brandeis Study Abroad Application deadline
- Be in good academic and judicial standing (not on probation)
- Have resolved all Incompletes on your academic record
- Be able to finish your university requirements and those for your major in time to graduate on schedule.
- Have declared at least one major before the Brandeis Study Abroad Application deadline
- Be a member of the junior class or a first-semester senior when you study abroad, and you must return to Brandeis for at least one semester at an eligible rate of work in order to receive credit.
- Submit a completed Brandeis Study Abroad Application by the appropriate deadline.
To be eligible for a semester or academic year of Study Abroad, students must be a member of the junior* class or a first-semester senior and must return to Brandeis for at least one semester at an eligible rate of work in order to receive credit.
Students entering as first years are required to complete a minimum of seven full-time semesters from Brandeis fall/spring semesters, approved fall/spring Study Abroad programs or approved Justice Brandeis Semester programs. At most one of these seven semesters may be a Study Abroad Semester or a summer Justice Brandeis Semester. For students wishing to complete two semesters of study abroad, or two summer Justice Brandeis Semesters, or one semester of each, the minimum number of semesters becomes eight full-time semesters. A Justice Brandeis Semester in the fall, spring, or summer with fall extension counts in the same manner as a regular fall or spring semester at Brandeis.
It is possible for most transfer students to study abroad, provided that you complete a minimum of four full-time semesters from Brandeis fall/spring semesters. Additionally, you cannot have more than 64 transfer credits when you apply to study abroad.
As a midyear student, you may be transferring credits from AP exams or college courses taken elsewhere. It is certainly possible for you to study abroad for a semester, even a year. Please read Brandeis Semesters, Advanced Placement, and Study Abroad handout above carefully.
It is possible to study abroad fall semester of your senior year at Brandeis. We recommend that you set up an appointment with a member of the study abroad staff and we may refer you to the Office of the Registrar (781-736-2018) or your class advisor in Academic Services (Usdan 130, 781-736-3470) to ensure you are on schedule with your graduation requirements.
Brandeis regulations state that students must spend their final semester before graduation on the Brandeis campus. There is no petitioning this policy.