Oral Presentation Tips
Oral Presentations: Advice from Jennifer Cleary, Senior Lecturer in Theater Arts
Here are five key skills you can practice:
- Preparation: refer to outlined notes without directly reading from them (no shame in having notes). Practice out loud. Do not just prepare on paper - speak!!!
- Breathing: Practice focused breathing to manage the anxiety and nerves that may come with speaking for any audience.
- Energy: Lift up the audience with increased energy - have more energy than your audience, especially if you are on Zoom and cannot see them all.
- Authenticity: Be yourself and show your own personality throughout the presentation - don't try to imitate any other speakers.
- Connection: it's a human conversation with your audience - remember this.
- For Students
- Funding Opportunities
- Research Support
- Undergraduate Research Symposium
- For Faculty
- News and Events
- Contact Us
Contact For More Information
Margaret Lynch, PhD
Director of Undergraduate-Faculty Research Partnerships