H-1B Visa

When the total stay of 5 years in J-1 status comes to an end, or if the scholar is a tenure-track faculty member or ineligible for J status for any other reason, the usual procedure is for Brandeis to petition for H-1B status on a scholar's behalf.

This can only be done if the scholar is not subject to the J-1 visa two-year home residency requirement, which requires certain individuals to return to their home countries upon completion of their J-1 Exchange Visitor Program (citizens of China in all fields, as well as most fields from India are subject to this requirement).

In addition, there are certain minimum salary and degree requirements for this visa category.