Maintaining Student Status
As an F-1/J-1 international student, you are responsible for maintaining your status in the U.S. Below you will find information on how to maintain your status.
Full-Time Enrollment Requirements
All international students are required to be enrolled full-time (12 credits) to maintain status unless they are in their final semester.
Keep track of the following information on your Form I-20/Form DS-2019:
- Program End Date: If you will not complete your program by the indicated program end date on your Form I-20/DS-2019, you must request an extension. You must do this in the ISSO Portal BEFORE your current program end date.
- Major and Academic Level: If you have changed or will change your academic major or will complete your program and/or start another degree program at Brandeis, notify your ISSO Advisor to make sure that your Form I-20/DS-2019 up-to-date.
- Other Changes: If you have changed or will change your name, or citizenship, or other information that is displayed on your Form I-20/DS-2019, notify your ISSO Advisor.
All international students must update their address within 10 days of the change of address as a condition of maintaining status. Follow the instructions below to update your address.
- If you are a currently enrolled student go to your ISSO Portal and submit a "Contact Information Update" request.
- If you are on OPT or STEM OPT you can update your address in your SEVP Portal.
Note: Reporting a change of address by either of the above methods does not update Brandeis Workday information. If you would like to update your address in Workday, you can do that directly in Workday.
Obtain employment authorization from before starting any type of employment.
All Brandeis students are required to be covered by health insurance. The student health plan provides adequate coverage. Check the health insurance page for more information.
All F-1 and J-1 students are required to have valid immigration documents when returning to the U.S. You can find more information on our travel page.
Immigration documents required for travel include:
- Valid passport (for at least 6 months into the future)
- Valid F-1/J-1 visa
- Current Form I-20/DS-2019 with a valid travel signature
- EAD (If on OPT or STEM OPT)
If you are transferring to another U.S. institution, you must request a transfer of your SEVIS record to the new school. You can do this by submitting a Transfer Out Request in the ISSO Portal. For more information on the process see transfer your SEVIS record.
If you are completing your program after the program end date listed on your Form I-20/DS-2019, you must submit a Program Extension Request in the ISSO Portal. Check our Program Extension page for more information on extending your program.
- New Students
- Current Students
- Travel Information
- Overview of Visa Categories
- International Scholars and Staff
- About the ISSO
- Contact Us