U.S. Taxes

As an international student or  scholar, you are responsible for complying with U.S. tax regulations. Failing to comply with U.S. tax regulations may impact your current immigration status and make future U.S. visa applications challenging.

When filing taxes, you are filing for the previous year, January to December. For example, if you are filing taxes in 2022, you are submitting tax information for January-December 2021. If you miss the tax filing deadline, you may face late filing penalties.

The tax filing deadline for this year is April 18, 2022. Check with the IRS for the most up-to-date information.

How the ISSO Can Assist You

U.S. tax regulations are complex and change annually. ISSO staff are not tax experts and therefore cannot help you prepare your tax return or offer tax advice. Your primary resource is the Internal Revenue Service (IRS.) Website. 

To provide tax assistance for our students and scholars, we have partnered with Sprintax, an online tool specifically designed to help international students and scholars with their federal and state taxes. You can submit a request in the ISSO Portal and pay a small fee to receive a code to use Sprintax at a discounted rate.

Sprintax Webinar Recording (Registration Required for Access)

frequently asked tax questions

Filing Your Tax Return 

State Income Tax Filing

Each state in the U.S. has separate tax filing regulations. It is your responsibility to be familiar with these requirements. If you worked in multiple states during the previous tax year, you may need to file taxes for each state separately.

Individuals who worked in Massachusetts who earned less than the minimum filing requirement do not have to file. However, if any tax was withheld by the employer, the individual would want to file a return in order to be refunded for the withholding.

Sprintax can help file your Massachusetts state income tax return, as well as for other U.S. states for an additional fee. 

FICA  Tax (Social Security or Medicare)

All U.S. residents and international “residents for tax purposes” are required to pay FICA tax (Social Security and Medicare). “Nonresidents for tax purposes” are exempt from this tax. If your employer had Social Security or Medicare taxes withheld in error, you can file a refund request with the IRS.

Scam Advisory

Protect yourself from IRS scam phone calls & emails!

Tax scams take many different forms. Many common scams consist of phone calls and emails from thieves who pretend to be from the IRS. They use the IRS name, phone number, logo, or a fake website to try to steal your money. They may try to steal your identity, too, by asking for personal information such as your Social Security number. See the IRS list of Tax Fraud Alerts to help you avoid being a victim of these tax scams. You can also find more information on the ISSO website.