The ISSO is located in Kutz Hall in Room 215. Get directions to our offices and the Brandeis campus.
International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO)
415 South Street
Waltham, MA 02453
Business hours: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The ISSO is open to visitors every day from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. Students can stop by to say hello, book an appointment, or pick up/drop off documents.
Walk-In Advising hours: 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
During this time, an ISSO advisor will be available to answer quick questions. Longer sessions with an ISSO advisor will require an appointment.
Zoom Drop-In Hours
Starting January 17, 2023, Zoom Drop-In Hours will be held on:
- Tuesday 2:00pm - 3:00pm
- Thursday 2:00pm - 3:00pm
ACCESS Zoom Drop-IN hours
Zoom Drop-In Hours are generally reserved for quick questions that require a 5-10 minute discussion with an ISSO advisor. If you have a more complex question, please schedule an appointment. To schedule a Zoom appointment with an ISSO advisor, please use our booking page.
Students who would like to book a Zoom or In-Person appointment with their ISSO Advisor should use our You Can Book Me booking page.
Please pay special attention to book an appointment with your assigned ISSO Advisor, and to check if your ISSO Advisor will be taking Zoom or In-Person appointments on the day you wish to book your appointment.
If your assigned ISSO Advisor does not have availability at a day and time that is convenient for you, please contact the ISSO. You can also visit our drop-in hours or Zoom Drop-In Advising hours without an appointment for quick questions.
Scholars who would like to book an appointment should email email@example.com.
If you have an urgent situation that may make international travel seem necessary (e.g. for family emergency), please contact the ISSO immediately so we can arrange an appointment to discuss any risks associated with your travel abroad or your return to the U.S. If you are experiencing one of the following emergency situations outside of the ISSO's normal business hours, you may reach out to the Brandeis Public Safety Emergency Line at 781-736-3333 and an ISSO staff member will be contacted:
- If you are denied boarding a flight bound to the U.S., or denied entry into the U.S., where all of your immigration documentation is valid and are a current student, scholar, or dependent; or
- If you are detained at an airport or a U.S. Port of Entry (e.g., border-crossing, seaport, etc.)
Please note the exceptions to calling this number below:
- If you forgot or lost your immigration documents (I-20, DS-2019, EAD card, I-797 Approval Notice, etc.), do not call the number. Instead, email your ISSO advisor or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- If your visa application is delayed or denied, do not call the number. Instead, email your ISSO advisor or email@example.com for assistance.
- If Brandeis does not sponsor your immigration status, do not call the number. Instead, contact your immigration sponsor for assistance. (Example: Fulbright, F-1 OPT or J-1 AT through another institution, etc.)
- If you are in the U.S. and hurt or in danger, do not call this number. Instead, call 911. If you are overseas, call emergency services in that country.
The International Students and Scholars Office is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m., and can be reached by phone at 781-736-3840.
Who is my ISSO Advisor?
Last Name A-C: Jingwen Yan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Last Name D-I: Daniela Periolska (email@example.com)
Last Name J-L: Jodi Hanelt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Last Name M-P: Rachel Benjamin (email@example.com)
Last Name Q-W: Karen Zuffante Pabon (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Last Name X-Z: Ian Metivier (email@example.com)
For Scholars Employed at Brandeis University in J-1, H-1B, TN, and F-1 OPT/STEM OPT Status
Jingwen Yan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Daniela Periolska (email@example.com)
Jodi Hanelt (firstname.lastname@example.org)