J-2 Employment Authorization

  • J-2 dependent family members may apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for permission to accept employment on the Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization; a job offer is not required, and a Social Security Number (SSN) can also be requested with this application.
  • The request for employment authorization must not be to support the J-1 principal or the J-2 dependent(s).
  • It may take up to five months for an application for J-2 employment authorization to be approved.
  • If the J-2 Employment Authorization application is approved the J-2 will receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with no work restrictions.
  • The J-2 dependent may NOT begin working until they receive their EAD. The J-2 dependent may only work within the validity dates listed on the card. The work can be part-time or full-time, at any job, for any employer. The J-2 visa holder will be subject to social security taxes, federal income taxes and state taxes.

Application Process