Reduced Course Load
International students are required to maintain full-time status (12 credits per semester) with a few exceptions listed below and described by Federal Regulations. International students must obtain approval from their ISSO Advisor prior to dropping below 12 credits.
To learn more about the limited exceptions to the full-time enrollment requirement see the exceptions below.
You may apply for an academic reduced course load if you are experiencing:
- Initial difficulties with the English language and/or initial difficulty with reading requirements
- Unfamiliarity with American teaching methods
- Improper course level placement
If you believe that you are experiencing any of these issues, you must obtain a recommendation letter from your Academic/Program Advisor for the ISSO to consider your request for part-time enrollment. The recommendation letter must contain the following:
Brief explanation of the academic concern and how it meets one of the three academic situations above
Specific recommend that you are permitted to drop below full-time enrollment
If the exception is “improper course level placement,” the letter should describe the missing prerequisite courses or skills that prevents you from succeeding in the course
Note: An academic reduced course load may only be authorized once per academic program.
F-1 students may be enrolled in less than 12 credits in their final semester of study provided all degree requirements have been met. No additional authorization or paperwork is required but we recommend you meet with your Academic/Program Advisor to confirm that you have met all graduation requirements.
- Undergraduate students enrolled in less than a full course of study in their final term, should consult with their Academic Advisor and may need to complete the Senior Reduced Status Pre-Approval Application for the Registrar's Office.
While students in F-1 status may take a leave for medical reasons, F-1 regulations do not allow for an individual to take a personal leave and maintain F-1 status.
If you wish to take a personal leave, please contact your Academic/Program Advisor, as well as your ISSO advisor.
If you are eligible for a reduced course load exception, you can submit a request in the ISSO Portal.
- New Students
- Current Students
- Student Employment/Internships
- Travel Information for Students and Scholars
- Overview of Visa Categories
- International Scholars and Staff
- About the ISSO
- Contact Us