Driving in the U.S.

If you plan to drive in the U.S., you must have a valid driver's license that is either a Standard driver’s license/ID or a REAL ID driver’s license/ID. For more information on applying for either one, visit the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) website.

Since July 1, 2023, eligible residents in Massachusetts can obtain a Standard (Class D or M) driver's license, regardless of immigration status, under the Work and Family Mobility Act

If you do not plan to drive in the U.S. but would like an alternate form of identification that you can use instead of your passport for common transactions, you may apply for a Massachusetts State ID or Liquor ID

Public Transportation