SEVIS Transfer-In for F-1 Visa Holders
Students coming to Brandeis University from another U.S. school or who are currently on Optional Practical Training (OPT) at another school may need to transfer their SEVIS record to Brandeis University.
You may be considered a SEVIS Transfer student for immigration purposes. This is different from a Transfer student for admissions purposes.
A SEVIS Transfer refers to having your SEVIS record transferred from one U.S. school to another. A SEVIS Transfer occurs when a Designated School Official (DSO) at your current institution electronically sends your SEVIS record to Brandeis University.
You are eligible for a SEVIS record transfer if all of the following apply:
- You attended an academic program in the U.S. immediately before attending Brandeis University (i.e., high school, English language program, associates program, bachelor’s program, master’s program, etc.).
- You are currently in the U.S. in F-1 student status and will not leave the U.S. for longer than five months between programs.
- You are currently in “Active” status in SEVIS.
- The last day of classes of your previous program or the last day of post-completion Optional Practical Training (if applicable) is less than five months from the start of your program at Brandeis University.
SEVIS Record Transfer Process
Once you have been admitted to Brandeis University, you can request that your current school transfer your SEVIS record to Brandeis. To initiate a SEVIS record transfer, follow the steps below:
- Speak with the International Student Advisor/DSO at your current school to let them know of your intent to transfer your SEVIS record.
- Determine a date for the SEVIS transfer to occur. Your International Student Advisor/DSO can electronically release your SEVIS record on the same day or schedule a transfer for a future date. The date that the record is released from your current school to Brandeis University is called your SEVIS Record Release Date.
- Your Brandeis University “Transfer Pending” Form I-20 will not be created until after your SEVIS Record Release Date.
- Once your SEVIS record release date has been reached, your current school will electronically release your SEVIS record to Brandeis.
SEVIS Transfer students must submit the electronic VIDOF before they can be issued a Brandeis Form I-20. Please indicate on the VIDOF that you are currently in F-1 status and intend to transfer your SEVIS record. You will then be prompted to complete an online "Transfer-In Form."
For Heller Students: Instead of the online "Transfer-In Form", you must complete the Brandeis Transfer-In Form (pdf) and upload it with your VIDOF.
In addition to the "Transfer-In Form" you must submit the following documents:
- Valid passport ID page (include the photo ID page and expiration page)
- Most recently issued Form I-20
- Copy of U.S. Entry Visa
- Form I-94
- Employment Authorization Document (EAD). If applicable.
- Once you have submitted the required documents, and your SEVIS release date has arrived, we will issue you a Brandeis “Transfer Pending” Form I-20. This Form I-20 will have the same SEVIS ID number as your previous Form I-20 but it will reflect your new program dates and details. If you are outside of the U.S. you may enter the U.S. with your "Transfer Pending" Form I-20. A travel signature is not required on the Form at this time.
- Once you arrive on campus you will need to register for a minimum of 12 credit hours and complete your mandatory ISSO Online Check-In within 15 days of the first day of classes. After your check-in is processed, you will receive a second Brandeis Form I-20 for “Continued Attendance” by the end of the course add/drop period.