A “dependent” is defined as the spouse and/or unmarried child (under the age of 21) of the primary F-1, J-1, or H-1B visa holder.

Children born in the United States, or spouses or children who are permanent U.S. residents or citizens, are not considered “dependents” for immigration purposes.

An international student or scholar/staff can bring their dependents with them on their initial entry to the U.S. or they can add them to their visa category at a later date so that the dependents can travel to the U.S. to join them.

Go to Overview of Visa Categories for some general information on the most common student and scholar visa categories.

Invite a Dependent