Student Data Collection Notice

This notice is applicable to anyone who submits information through an application for admission to one of our programs, or who provides information in order to enroll in a class or workshop offered by, or through, Brandeis University.

Brandeis University needs to collect, maintain and use your personal data in order to provide services that are associated with your being or becoming (or having been) a Brandeis student. By applying to one of our programs, enrolling in a Brandeis course or workshop, or by residing and participating in activities on campus you are consenting to our collection and use of this data.

In addition to the personal information you provide on an application, or as part of the application process, we also maintain and use data that is generated through your use of our systems. We use and maintain your academic information (class enrollments, grades, degrees, honors, etc.) and student account and financial aid information (billing, tuition charges, scholarships, loans and payments) as well as maintaining data on how you use related systems such as Workday, LATTE, Sage and PowerFaides.

We also contract with third parties in order to provide services, and your personal and educational information is held in their databases as well. These third parties are contractually prohibited from releasing your information to others, except as legally required, and have attested that their systems meet required data protection standards. Examples of such third-party services are: Adirondack (for on-campus residence); Maxient (student conduct); Medicat and University Health Plans (health center and health insurance);  AdvisorTrac (advising appts); Terra Dotta (Study Abroad); Library systems; and CCURE/CSGOLD, for ID cards and access to buildings. This list is not exhaustive and is meant to be illustrative of the systems used to provide an array of services to you before and after you graduate.

Your data is shared within the university in order to provide these services, and it is important that you regularly review your personal information in the student records system (Workday) to make sure that it is accurate and up-to-date. We are also required to share your information at times with certain external agencies (e.g., National Center for Education Statistics, National Student Clearinghouse, National Student Loan Data System). We may also ask external agencies for information they maintain about you to verify our records and improve services.

We do not sell your data to others. We do not provide it to third parties for marketing purposes, except for services directly related to Brandeis activities. 

We implement appropriate technical and organizational security measures to protect your information when you transmit it to us and when we store it on our information technology systems.

The university's use of cookies and other data from information technology can be found in the privacy notice on the university’s website.

You have the right to request access to, a copy of, rectification, restriction in the use of, or erasure of your information in accordance with all applicable laws. The erasure of your information shall be subject to the retention periods of applicable state and federal laws and to the legitimate interests of Brandeis to keep necessary records relative to your attendance at the university. If you have provided consent to the use of your information, you have the right to withdraw consent without affecting the lawfulness of the university's use of the information prior to receipt of your request.

Students may exercise these rights by accessing their student account maintained by the university's information technology systems using their login credentials, or by contacting University Registrar Mark Hewitt at Details of your privacy settings can be found on this website.

Information created in the European Union will be transferred out of the European Union to Brandeis University. If you feel the university has not complied with applicable foreign laws regulating such information, you have the right to file a complaint with the appropriate supervisory authority in the EU.