Phoebe Rothman Giddon Brandeis Alumna Undergraduate Research Fellowship
Undergraduate students are invited to submit proposals for the Phoebe Rothman Giddon Brandeis Alumna Undergraduate Research Fellowship. Recipients will be funded to conduct summer semester research under the supervision of a Brandeis faculty member.
- The deadline to apply for 2023 summer funding is 5 p.m. Wednesday, March 9.
- View recent recipients on our Recent Awards page.
Funding priority will be given to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Students who have or are currently taking at least one course in the Brandeis Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies (WGSS) Department .
- Students who, with the assistance and advice of a university faculty member, propose to research health issues as they intersect with women’s, gender and sexuality concerns
- Students are required to fill out an I-9 in order to receive the stipend. International Students are encouraged to review the steps for beginning on-campus employment found on the International Students and Scholars Office website.
- Students whose proposals are selected for funding will receive a stipend ranging from $1,250 to $5,000. The award amount will depend upon the number of proposals funded.
How to Apply
Your completed application should contain the following:
- Student applicant information
- Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- One-page resume that highlights your qualifications to conduct this research
- Research proposal (2,500 words or fewer, excluding reference list)
- Organize your proposal as follows:
- Project summary (a 250-word overview of your proposed project)
- Background and introduction to the research or creative topic and project
- Project aims and goals (specify exactly what you plan to do)
- Methods or approach (how you plan to do it)
- Project output, outcomes and deliverables
- Project timeline (outline what you will work on and when)
- Project significance and impact
- References cited (recommended if standard in the research area)
- Organize your proposal as follows:
- Contingency plan
- If your project involves travel, field- or laboratory-based research, in-person human or animal research, or in-person group studio-based projects or performances, please submit a brief contingency research plan in the event that travel and research restrictions are in effect in Summer 2023 for the location of your project.
- Mentoring plan
- How often will you meet with your faculty mentor over the summer?
- Will you be able to attend group research meetings or communicate with other researchers or creative professionals in your field of interest?
- What type of training will your mentor provide (either directly or by referral to other people or resources)?
- Students should direct their faculty mentors to submit their letter of recommendation via the Faculty Letter of Recommendation Form (Brandeis email required to access).
- Fellowship awardees will be required to submit a project summary at the end of the summer and present their research to the Brandeis community at the URCC Symposium.
Summer 2023 URCC Undergraduate Research Fellowship Application
If you have general questions or want to discuss your application, contact Margaret Lynch, director of Undergraduate-Faculty Research Partnerships.
Congratulations to the 2022 Giddon Fellow!
Shivam Nainwal, December '22, is the recipient of the 2022 Phoebe Rothman Giddon Brandeis Alumna Undergraduate Research Fellow.
- Majors: Anthropology; international and global studies
- Title: "Can I be Gay and Filial?" Indian Filial Piety, Mental Health and Third World Queer Adolescents"
- Faculty mentor: Sarah Lamb