Health and Safety Inspections
Health and Safety Inspections will take place from Monday, October 24th to Friday, November 11th.
This semester, Health and Safety Inspections will be conducted as follows:
- Two staff members (a professional staff member and a Community Advisor) will stop by each space on campus.
- Masks are optional for staff and residents. If you are home when an inspection is being completed, you can choose to wear a mask or not.
- Community Living staff members will view all bedrooms from the door. They will not enter any bedrooms unless items must be confiscated and the resident is not home.
- For apartments and suites, staff will need to enter common spaces (common rooms and kitchens) to be able to view bedrooms within the space.
- Staff will not open any drawers, closets, cabinets, etc. They will lock the doors after checking a room, including the bedroom doors within a suite.
- A checklist will be handed to you or left in your bedroom. This will inform you if you passed inspection, if a follow-up is needed, or if anything was confiscated from the space.
Community Living staff will inspect residence halls to evaluate the health, safety, and security of our buildings as outlined in Section 16.3 Health and Safety Inspections and Section 9.5 Right of Entry in Rights and Responsibilities. Inspections take place once per semester. They are a time for staff to touch base with residents who are home, confirm the space is free of any fire safety or conduct violations and help the resident address any concerns within the space.
Important Reminders for Health and Safety Inspections
- Staff will reach out to residents via email if a follow-up inspection is needed.
- If anything is confiscated from your space, it will be noted on the checklist left in your space. Brandeis Police will be contacted by Community Living staff to confiscate and dispose of any drugs or drug paraphernalia.
- Most first-time violations, such as non-LED string lights or unapproved lofted beds, will be documented by Community Living and result in the resident being asked to correct the violation prior to the follow-up inspection.
- More serious violations will be documented with the Office of Student Rights and Community Standards and will go through the student conduct process. These violations commonly pose a serious Fire Safety Hazard or involve illegal items.
- If you are unsure what items are or are not allowed in the residence halls, please view our Permitted and Prohibited List on our website.
Statistics from the 2019-2020 academic year Health and Safety Inspections can be found below.
Some of the more common violations we encounter are listed below, as well as on the linked Health and Safety Inspection Form. Please note these are not the only potential violations, just the most common.
- Fire safety equipment obstructed or damaged (including anything hanging from or touching pipes)
- Candles which have not been registered through DCL for religious observance
- Evidence of alcohol, including empty containers (dry areas); excessive alcohol, including handles/any bottle over 750 mL (all areas)
- Evidence of smoking/other drugs or drug paraphernalia (this does not include vaporizers that are used for tobacco)
- Extension Cords (only UL-Listed surge protectors are allowed in our residence halls)
2019-2020 Health and Safety Inspection Statistics
|Violations Resolved with CA Follow-Up||Violations resulting in Community Standards Report||Spring 2020 Total Violations|
|East & Skyline||14||1||15|
|Village & 567 South Street||4||1||5|
|Ziv & Ridgewood||3||0||3|
|Charles River & Mods||38*||0*||38*|
|Massell & Rosenthal||24*||5*||29*|
|*These numbers do not reflect all rooms in this quad. Not all rooms were able to be inspected due to the COVID-19 building closure.|
|Violations Resolved with CA Follow-Up||Violations resulting in Community Standards Report||Fall 2019 Total Violations|
|East & Skyline||29||0||29|
|Village & 567 South Street||22||1||23|
|Ziv & Ridgewood||20||0||20|
|Charles River & Mods||91||7||98|
|Massell & Rosenthal||74||6||80|