The Office of the University Registrar (x6-2010), located in Kutz Hall, is the official repository of academic records. It issues official transcripts upon written request, performs certification functions, audits records to ensure satisfactory completion of degree requirements, and conducts registration and course enrollment at the beginning of each term. The Registrar's website lists the Academic Calendar, Key Degree Dates for Graduate Students, and the University Bulletin. Be certain that you select the current calendar, degree dates, and Bulletin when navigating.

The GSAS Student Guide does not replace the Bulletin; the Bulletin is the official repository for academic rules and regulations.

Auditing Courses

The privilege of auditing courses without fee is extended to all regularly enrolled, full-time graduate students. Part-time degree students and non-degree special students may audit a course but will be charged the same rate as a course taken for credit. No courses may be audited without the permission of the instructor and the student's program chair. Auditors may not take examinations or expect evaluation from the instructor. No credit is given for an audited course. The option of auditing courses is not available during the summer term.

Dropping Courses or Changing Grading Option

Students are allowed to drop courses or change their grading option to an “audit” status. Graduate students cannot take courses on a “pass/fail” basis. To drop a course within the allowed period, obtain a drop consent code from your instructor and using this code drop the class online via Sage. In order to change the grading option of a course to audit, one must obtain an add/drop form and return it to the Office of the University Registrar. This form must be signed by your advisor and the course instructor.

Grades and Course Standards

Graduate students are expected to maintain a record of distinction in all courses. Letter grades are used in courses in which grading is deemed appropriate. In readings or research courses, if a letter grade cannot be given at the end of each term or academic year, credit (CR) or no credit (NC) may be used. NC and any letter grade below B- are unsatisfactory grades in the Graduate School. A course for which the student receives an unsatisfactory grade does not count toward graduate credit.

Programs may review academic records at the end of each semester if a student is not making suitable academic progress. In these cases, academic probation or withdrawal may result.

Final grades are available to students through the registration system upon posting by the University Registrar after the end of each semester.


A graduate student who has not completed the work (exams, papers, etc.) for any course may receive an EI (incomplete) or a failing grade at the discretion of the course instructor. A student who receives an EI must satisfactorily complete the work of the course in which the incomplete was given in order to receive credit for the course and a letter grade. All work for an incomplete must be submitted in the following term, no later than the date published in the academic calendar for the term.

An EI that is not resolved by the deadline in the Academic Calendar will automatically become a permanent incomplete (recorded as "I" on the transcript).

In exceptional circumstances, an instructor may request an extension of the deadline from the University Registrar.

Graduate Cross-Registration

A full-time degree graduate student at Brandeis University may enroll in one graduate course each term at Boston College, Boston University, Tufts University, or the Graduate Consortium in Women's Studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Information on courses for cross registration at each of the host institutions is available at the graduate school office of each institution.

A student at Brandeis who wishes to enroll in a graduate course at one of the host institutions should obtain a registration permit from the Office of the University Registrar and should present this permit to the office of the registrar at the host institution. The student should consult with the instructor in the particular course and is expected to satisfy the prerequisites and requirements normally required for admission to the course, including adherence to the academic calendar of the host school.

Any part-time graduate student in a degree program is allowed to participate in cross-registration. Students may only take one cross-registration course a semester, and are required to take at least one full-semester Brandeis course in addition to the cross-registered course. Students may only enroll in one cross-registration course per semester of residency.

Due to differences in academic calendars among the colleges in the consortium, it is not advisable for degree candidates to enroll in a cross-registered course in their final semester.

Credit for Work Done Elsewhere

Graduate level courses taken prior to matriculation at Brandeis or while on Leave of Absence and pursuing an approved course of study may be applied to reduce the residence requirement for programs with a 2-year or longer residency.

The Master’s degrees with less than a two-year residence requirement do not accept transfer credit to reduce the residence requirement, although a program may accept work taken elsewhere in partial fulfillment of specific course requirements for the degree. In that case, additional courses are designated to replace courses from which the student has been exempted.

The post-baccalaureate programs do not accept transfer credit.

For the Master’s degree programs that have a two-year residence requirement, a maximum of one term of residence credit for graduate-level courses may be transferred toward fulfillment of the residence requirement.

Students in PhD programs may file an application to have graduate-level courses counted toward fulfillment of residence requirements at Brandeis. A maximum of one-year residence credit may be granted. Applicants for transfer credit will not necessarily be granted the credit requested. Each program reserves the right to require of any student work in excess of its minimum standards to assure thorough mastery of the area of study. In all cases, courses being transferred must carry a grade of B or better and must have been earned at an appropriately accredited institution.

After completing one term of residence at a full-time rate or the equivalent at a part-time rate, students eligible to apply for transfer credit may do so. The External Transfer Credit Form is available on the Office of the University Registrar’s website in the ‘Forms’ section. This form should be submitted to the student’s program for approval and then submitted to the Office of the University Registrar.


Current and former students may request official academic transcripts from the Office of the University Registrar. You can find details about Brandeis transcripts and the ordering process on the Registrar's website.

Change of Address and Personal Data

Change of Address and Personal Data

Should you need to change or update your address, please do so through sage. Contact the Registrar’s Office at if you have any difficulties or questions. It is very important that students maintain their addresses in SAGE. Many offices, including GSAS, use the addresses on file with the Registrar to send out important information. Email is used for official communication at Brandeis; as such, it is important that one regularly checks their Brandeis email. If one uses an email address that is not on a Brandeis server, make sure that Brandeis email forwards to that address. Students can also exercise their rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 to withhold information of various kinds that otherwise is available to non-university personnel. International students who hold an F-1 or J-1 visa must notify ISSO ( within 10 days of any move or change of address.

Summer Registration

Summer registration begins April 2, 2019.

Please read the following to determine if you need to register for the GSAS Graduate Summer Term. Please note that students in need of a summer loan must be actively pursuing academic studies and must be enrolled in one of the necessary courses as outlined below.

Master's students in the programs listed below are required to register for summer and should complete registration through SAGE self-service no later than the date listed:

  • Master’s students in the Genetic Counseling program are required to participate in a clinical internship and should register by June 3 for BIOL 212A (2152) and BIOL 213A (2154). Registration for Graduate Summer Term does not count toward the residency requirement. The summer registration fee will be waived.
  • Master’s students in the Biotechnology program are required to participate in an internship and should register by June 3 for BIOT 212A (2146). Contact Neil Simister for the instructor approval code. Registration for Graduate Summer Term does not count toward the residency requirement. The summer registration fee will be waived.
  • Master’s students in the Ed.M. and MAT in Education programs as well as the AGS in Teacher Leadership program should register by June 3 for the courses determined by your program. Contact Manuel Tuan for the instructor approval code. Full-time tuition will be charged.
  • Master’s students in the Hornstein Jewish Professional Leadership program should register by June 3 for courses in consultation with your program advisor. Half semester tuition will be charged.

Ph.D. students in Life Sciences, Chemistry, Physics, or Computer Science are required to register for summer and will be enrolled by the Registrar.

  • Ph.D. students in the Life Sciences, Chemistry, Physics, and Computer Science programs are required to be on campus or at a related lab for the full year while engaged in taking classes and/or doing research related to their field of study and will be enrolled in CONT 250B by the Registrar’s Office. Registration for Graduate Summer Term does not count toward the residency requirement.  The summer registration fee will be waived

Students who intend to complete their degree program for an August degree must be enrolled this summer. Note: the deadline for filing an August degree application is June 21, 2019; the online application will be available on the Registrar’s website in early May).

  • Ph.D. Degree Candidates: If you are defending your Ph.D. dissertation by July 26, 2019 and depositing your dissertation by August 8, 2019, you are required to register for CONT 250B (2082) and will be enrolled automatically by the Registrar's office upon approval of your application for an August degree. The summer registration fee will be waived for Ph.D. candidates.
  • Master’s Degree Candidates: If you are finishing your Master’s thesis/project/capstone during the summer 2019 and plan to deposit your thesis by August 8, 2019, you are required to register for CONT 200A (2084) and will be enrolled automatically by the Registrar's office upon approval of your application for an August degree. Should your Master’s Program have a corresponding final paper/thesis/project course per degree requirements, you should simultaneously enroll in that course if you have not already taken that course. You will be billed as a Summer Extended Master’s student. The corresponding fee is $1500 for summer 2019. Note that students who complete all program requirements for an August degree prior to the start of the summer 2019 term (June 3) will be registered for CONT200a by the Registrar’s office but will be eligible for a summer tuition credit. These students should inform Emily Goldberg of their plans in early May and must submit their thesis to the Brandeis Institutional Repository (BIR) no later than May 23, 2019.

Brandeis Summer School
Students who are pursuing a Master's degree or Post-Baccalaureate credit may choose to enroll in graduate level courses in the Brandeis Summer School. Some GSAS departments may choose to designate selected courses offered through the Summer School for credit towards a GSAS Master's degree or Post-Baccalaureate credit. Students may review course listings in the Summer School BulletinStudents should register for Summer School courses by contacting Richard Cunnane  in the Office of the Registrar and NOT enroll in courses via the Summer School website.  

Justice Brandeis Semester (JBS) Course Registration

Upon confirmation of participation, students will be registered in the JBS Program. Students will not have to take any action in terms of enrolling in the Program courses. 

Note: GSAS students who register for summer courses in the Summer School, Heller, or IBS will be expected to pay the appropriate tuition to that school.