Insert Links and Anchors
Within the text on your page, you can add links to other pages and files.
Adding a Link
There are two types of hyperlinks: internal and external.
- Internal Links are for pages or files, including PDFs, that you have access to in Cascade CMS.
- External Links are for other sites on the web, including other Brandeis sites.
- Navigate to the page on which you want to place your link and click Edit.
- In any content type that uses the WYSIWYG toolbar, select the words that you want to serve as a link. Then click the Link icon on the WYSIWYG toolbar. (It looks like several links of chain.)
A small window should pop up.
- For Internal Links follow the instructions in 3A. For External Links, please skip to step 3B.
A. The Internal button should be selected by default. Click on the Browse button. Another window should open.
Use this window to navigate to the page or file that you wish to link to, just as you would in the main Cascade CMS navigation panel.
Once you have selected the desired asset, click Confirm.
After you confirm, you should see the path to the asset you selected in the Link field.
(To continue adding an Internal Link, please skip to step 4.)
B. For External Links, choose the External button. Type in the full URL of the link (including http://).
- For both internal and external links, in addition to assigning a link, you will see additional fields:
- Anchor, described below
- Target, which determines whether the link opens in the same or a new browser window/tab. For accessibility purposes, this should be set to Same Window, even if users are being directed to a different website.
- Title, which will display if a user hovers over the linked text.
- Class, which can be ignored, unless you are creating a button.
- Click Insert when you are done.
Adding an Anchor
An anchor, sometimes called a bookmark, is an element that marks a specific position on your page. You can link to it from another point on your page or a different page.
Create the Anchor
- Open your page in Edit/Content mode and click into the content area you wish to edit. Place the cursor at the point where you wish to make an anchor (the point to which you are linking). Then click on the anchor icon in the WYSIWYG toolbar.
- A small window will pop up and you will be prompted to name your anchor. Choose a name that is both descriptive and easy to remember.
Best Practice: Anchor names should be short with no spaces and consist of lowercase letters and/or dashes.
- Click Insert. An anchor symbol should now appear where the cursor was. This symbol will not appear on the published page, only in Edit/Content mode. It can be moved or deleted just like text.
Link to the Anchor
- You now can link to the Anchor. If you are creating the link to the anchor on the same page, follow the directions in step 2. If you are linking to the anchor from a different page, skip to step 3.
- A. Select the text that you want to serve as a link. Then click the Link icon.
B. On the Insert/Edit Link screen, enter the name you gave your anchor in the Anchor field. Then click Insert.
The words you selected should now appear as a linked text.
- A. To create a link on a different page, in the CMS, go to the page on which you would like to create the link. Click the Edit tab.
B. Select the text that you want to serve as a link. Then click the Link icon.
C. On the Insert/Edit Link screen, in the Link field, select the page where you created the anchor, then enter the name you gave your anchor in the Anchor field. Then click Insert. The words you selected should now appear as a linked text.