Uploading and Updating Files
To use an image or a document (such as a PDF) on your website, you need to first upload it to Cascade.
Copyright Note: As a reminder, editors should only use images for which Brandeis holds the copyright (taken by the university photographer) or stock images that they have purchased rights to use.
Before uploading, here are a few best practices to keep in mind:
Create separate folders for images and documents – this will make finding things easier later.
Resize images before uploading. This will help prevent image distortion and long page load time caused by large files.
Visit the Sizing and Editing Images page to review a list of appropriate image sizes.
Best Practice: We recommend Adobe Photoshop for image editing. More information is available at go.brandeis.edu/software.
In the navigation panel, select the folder into which you would like to upload the file.
From the toolbar, select New > Upload File.
The CMS offers "drag and drop" functionality, which allows you to drag files from your computer directly into Cascade, in addition to the browse method.
To use the browse method, click the Browse button in the dotted-line rectangle. Locate and select the file on your computer. Then click Open.
- To use the drag and drop functionality, simply select the file from your desktop and drag it into the “Drop file here to upload” rectangle. Your image will appear on the screen. Click Submit.
The file name of the file you uploaded will appear in the System Name box. Your image will appear under, where you can edit the size or orientation (as a reminder, images should be sized properly before uploaded to the CMS).
If the file you uploaded has spaces or capital letters in its System Name, please follow step 5. If not, skip to step 6.
- You must remove spaces in filenames to prevent broken images and links. Enter a new System Name for the file by deleting spaces and/or changing capital letters to lowercase letters. This is the name that will appear in the navigation panel and as part of the URL of the file. Be sure to include the file type, i.e., .jpg, .pdf, etc., in the title.
Best Practice: Keep names short; use only lowercase letters, numbers, and dashes. Do not use spaces or underscores.
The file should appear in the specified folder in the system. You can now use it on a page.
How to Upload Multiple Files at Once
Multiple files, such as images and PDFs may be uploaded to the CMS at the same time by using the Zip Archive tool.
- On your computer, create a zipped archive of the items you wish to upload. The name of the file should be Archive.zip.
- In the CMS, select the folder in which the items will be placed.
- Under Tools, select Zip Archive.
- Select the Archive.zip file from your desktop by either dragging and dropping it or by browsing.
- Click Submit.
- While the file is being uploaded, a progress bar appears and submit buttons are disabled until the uploading process is complete.
- You will receive a green banner with Operation successful if the files are uploaded correctly.
Updating/Replacing a File (PDF, image)
If you've previously uploaded a file to Cascade, you can update/replace it with a newer version without starting from scratch. Replacing the file has a major advantage: the links you and other web editors have created will be maintained by Cascade.
- Select the file you need to update. Click Edit.
- Using the Browse button or “drag and drop” functionality, upload the new version of the file to the CMS. For instructions, see "Uploading a File (PDF, image)" above. Once you select the file, its file name will appear next to Received file. Click Submit. The new file will appear using the old file name.
- While the file is selected, click on Relationships. The pages with links to the file will be displayed.
- Click Publish all relationships.
If you need to rename a file, follow the Move/Rename instructions.