Publishing and Un-publishing
Publishing is the act of sending all or part of your site to the web, either to the live Brandeis website, or the test website. You can publish a page, folder or file.
- Select the asset you wish to publish from the navigation panel, then click the Publish tab in the main panel, or select the asset, expand the context menu then click Publish.
Note: If you have only modified the content of a page, you only need to publish that page, not the entire folder or site.
Note: If you have deleted, reordered or moved a page that was in a folder, publish the folder(s) that changed. You should only publish your entire site if you have made changes to the left navigation (by adding, removing or moving an asset or modifying a display name). Publish your whole site during off-hours, such as before 9 a.m. or after 5 p.m. View publishing tips.
- You should see two types of destinations: Live and Test. Live destinations are on the publicly-available web; Test destinations can only be accessed from campus or by logging in through Wormhole.
If a box is checked, you will publish to the associated destination. Leave the HTML All Destinations box checked. Ensure that the appropriate live/test destinations are checked or unchecked, then press Submit to publish.
Best Practice: Before publishing your pages live, you should first publish to the test server. This gives you an opportunity to review the pages privately before they become available to the public.
- Publishing is not instantaneous, but rather a queue of all publishing jobs in the system. You can check the status of your job on the Active Jobs screen, available in the toolbar by clicking the Cascade swirl icon and clicking Publisher (Swirl Icon > Publisher > Active Jobs).
From the Active Jobs screen, you can see the position of your job, and the progress of the currently publishing jobs.
Best Practice: After publishing, check the Messages tab on the Cascade Server Home screen to see if the CMS has encountered any problems with your work, such as broken links.
- Once your job is finished publishing, you can view your site in a web browser. If in Cascade CMS, your site folder is /sample, then the corollary test and live sites are at:
For a specific page, it is a similar pattern, but with .html appended. If a page in Cascade CMS is: /sample/example
The corollary test and live pages are at:
Un-publishing and Un-indexing
Un-publishing an asset will remove it from the web, but leave it in Cascade CMS. This is useful for out-of-date content that you may wish to keep for reference.
- Select the asset you wish to un-publish from the navigation panel then click the Publish tab from the main panel or select the asset, expand the context menu, and select Publish.
- Select the Un-publish radio button then click Submit.
- You should see the “Un-publish message sent successfully” banner above the path of the asset, or above the publishing queue, depending on your settings.
- Confirm that the un-publish job has completed by viewing the publishing queue, (accessible via the toolbar at Swirl Icon > Publisher > Active Jobs).
If the job is complete, it will no longer be in the queue.
- Re-select the asset from the navigation panel, and then click on the Edit tab, and System sub-tab.
- Un-check the Include when publishing and Include when indexing boxes.
The first box prevents accidental republishing; the second removes the asset from the site navigation. They can be rechecked at any time.
Click Submit when you are finished.
- Lastly, publish your entire site. This will remove any dead links from your site navigation.
Best Practice: Publish your whole site during off-hours, such as before 9 a.m. or after 5 p.m.
View the Publishing Queue
To be brought to the publisher automatically after sending an asset to publish, click on My Settings, then check the box After Publishing Assets > Go to publish status page.