The Featured Event content type can be used to highlight an upcoming event. Your featured event will appear below your main content area and spans the full width of the page.
- Navigate to your page and click Edit. Scroll down until you see the Add Content Below Main checkbox and check it.
- Select the radio button for Featured Event. For Background Color, leave as beige unless you have multiple Content Below Main modules, in which case you would want to alternate colors for contrast (you can edit this later).
- Click on the Content Below Main > Featured Event header to expand the contents below.
There are two ways to input content for this module: Manual Entry and using an existing Event Block. Instructions for each follow.
- Heading: Large text centered at the top of the featured event section. Do not duplicate Title field. Suggestions: “Upcoming Event” or “Featured Event”. (Heading can also be left blank.)
- Image: Select an image you have already uploaded that is 735 x 490 pixels.
- Alt Text: Describe your image. This text will be read to people who cannot see the image.
- Start date: Select a future date from the calendar.
- Display Start Time: This is checked by default. If you do not want a start time to display, uncheck this box.
- End Date: Select an optional end date from the calendar.
- Title: Bolded paragraph text in the featured event window. Do not duplicate heading.
- Text: Summary of event
- Add Button?: Check the box next to Yes to add a clickable button with link.
- Button Text: Type the words that you want to serve as your link text.
- Link Type: Select the Internal or External radio button. Use Internal for any page within your site that you have access to in the CMS. External is used for a link on any other website (including Brandeis sites you do not have access to, such as BrandeisNOW).
- Browse or Search for your internal page or type in your external URL (include http://).
To add a Featured Event using the Event Block functionality, you first need to create your Event Block.
- Navigate to blocks > reusable. Once there, click New > Event Block. Your new block will appear, starting on the Content sub-tab. You will see two additional tabs: Metadata and System.
Enter a System Name at the top of the Content screen.
The System Name is the name that is displayed in the navigation panel in Cascade. Unlike the system name of a page, the System Name of a Event Block will not appear in a URL.
Best Practice: Keep names short; use only lowercase letters, numbers and dashes. Do not use spaces or underscores.
- The fields in the Event Block are the same as the fields in the Featured Event manual entry, with two exceptions.
- The Heading for the Featured Event is added when you add the block to a page.
- You need to check the Is this a featured event? box to get the Featured Event Text box to display.
- When you have filled in all of the fields, click Submit.
Then, you need to add the Event Block to your page.
- Select the Event Block radio button.
- Heading is large text centered at the top of the featured event section. Do not duplicate Title field, which will be pulled from your block (Heading can also be left blank). Suggestions: “Upcoming Event” or “Featured Event.”
- Event Block: Search or navigate to the event block you created.