Form I-983 Brandeis Supplemental Guide
A student and their employer must complete and sign the Form I-983 (pdf) training plan and submit it to the ISSO for review as part of the STEM OPT recommendation.
Please be advised that the Department of Homeland Security has detailed instructions on completing the Form I-983. It is recommended that students review and share the instructions and resources on the Study in the States website with their employer to complete the Form I-983 training plan.
Students should refer to both the USCIS Instructions and the Brandeis Form I-983 Supplemental Guide below to complete the form.
Section 1: Student Information (Completed by Student)
- Student Name: Enter your name in the last name, first name format
- Name of School Recommending STEM OPT: Brandeis University
- Name of School Where STEM Degree Was Earned: Brandeis University
- SEVIS School Code: BOS214F00063000
- DSO Name and Contact Information:
- Jodi Hanelt email@example.com 7817363480 415 South St Waltham MA 02453
- SEVIS ID: The SEVIS ID can be found on the upper left corner of your Form I-20
- STEM OPT Requested Period: “From” date should be the day after your current 12-month OPT ends and the “to” date should be 2 years later. For example, 07/02/2021 - 07/01/2023.
- Qualifying Major and Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) Code: Please enter both your major and the CIP code. The 6-digit CIP code can be found on your Form I-20.
- Level/Type of Qualifying Degree: Enter Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD
- Date Awarded: The date awarded is found on your Brandeis transcript or diploma.
- Based on Prior Degree: Select “No” if your STEM degree is your most recent degree.
- Employment Authorization Number: Enter the 9 digit USCIS number on your EAD
Section 2: Student Information (Completed by Student)
- Signature: Sign in ink. Do not type or sign your signature electronically.
Section 3: Employer Information (Completed by Employer)
Detailed instructions for entering the employer’s information can be found on the USCIS I-983 instructions (pdf) for the employer.
- Enter the employer’s information according to the company’s official records.
- OPT Training Hours Per Week: In order to qualify for STEM OPT, the student must work a minimum of 20 hours per week.
- Start Date of Employment: Please use the first date of your STEM OPT, which should be the date after your current OPT end date (this is typically not your actual first day of employment.)
Section 4: Employer Certification
- The employer must sign in ink
- Employer's title MUST be included
Section 5: Training Plan for STEM OPT Students (Completed by Employer)
- Student Name: Enter the student’s name (Surname/Primary Name, Given Name) exactly as it appears on the Form I‐20.
- Employer Name: Company name.
- Site Name: May be the company name, or if you are working for a branch or subsidiary of the company provide the name of that worksite.
- Name of Official/Offiical's Title/Official's Email/Official's Phone Number: Provide your company Supervisor's information.
Section 6: Employer Official Certification
- The employer must sign in ink.
- Employer's title MUST be included
- The individual who signs the Form I-983 Employer Certification may or may not be the same individual who signed the Employer Certification in Section 4.
- Example: An HR/management representative may sign section 4, but a supervisor may be more appropriate to sign this section which outlines the learning objectives for the student/employee.
Evaluation on Student Progress
- Please leave this page blank when submitting your application for the STEM OPT Extension.
- Complete the first section on Page 5 at the 12-month period of your STEM OPT and submit it to your ISSO portal.
- Complete the second section of Page 5 at the 24-month period of your STEM OPT and when you terminate your STEM OPT employment.
- New Students
- Current Students
- On-Campus Employment
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- STEM Optional Practical Training (OPT) Extension
- H-1B Cap-Gap Extension
- Economic Hardship
- Volunteering and Unpaid Internships
- J-1 Academic Training
- J-2 Employment Authorization
- Social Security Number Information
- U.S. Taxes
- Travel Information
- Overview of Visa Categories
- International Scholars and Staff
- About the ISSO
- Contact Us