What To Do If You Are Issued an I-515A

If you do not have your visa documentation (I-20, DS-2019, I-797A, etc) when entering the U.S., you may be issued an I-515A, which is a temporary 30-day admittance to the U.S. If you receive an I-515A, please do the following:

  1. Stay calm! It is actually better that the port of entry officers give you an I-515A rather than deny you entry to the country. They understand, as do we, that sometimes you forget your I-20 or DS-2019 and cannot get a new one before entering the U.S. The important thing to remember is to stay calm and explain honestly to the officer what happened.

  2. Bring the I-515A to the ISSO as soon as possible. We will help you put together the required documentation to address the I-515A.

  3. Send the required documentation to the address given on the I-515A before your 30 days are up. As long as you do this, your visa status will not be violated.

If you have any questions, you can email the ISSO or call at 781-736-3480. Our normal business hours are Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you forget your I-20 or DS-2019, please note that sometimes the ISSO is closed for holidays and cannot send you a new I-20 or DS-2019 on time.