The application has four sections:
- Student Information
- Internship Organization Information
- Short Essay Questions
- Resume and Letter of Offer Uploads
Prior to submission, carefully review details for each requirement below. It is the applicant's responsibility to submit all required information to Hiatt by the deadline. We cannot accept partial or late applications.
The essay questions are a crucial component of your application and weigh heavily in the committee's decision-making process. You’ll be asked to respond to the following questions:
Will you be receiving any form of compensation from your internship organization (housing, transportation, food allowances, etc.)? If so, please indicate how much you will receive and what it will cover.
Please provide a brief summary of your organization (for example, its mission, activities, size, specific projects, etc.) and your proposed duties and responsibilities. 200 words.
How have you prepared for this role? What experiences led you to pursue this specific internship opportunity at this specific point? (Use your classes, past leadership, previous work or volunteering experience as examples) 200 words.
1) academic goal
2) career goal
3) personal goal
Cite specific responsibilities, tasks, assignments, or projects from your job description and/or Letter of Offer that clearly demonstrate how you plan to address and achieve each of the three goals this summer. 100 words each.
Optional question: Are there special financial or other circumstances you feel the committee should consider when reviewing your application? 250 words.
- Additional question for social justice WOW applicants only: Describe your interest in/passion for social justice and in particular, this organization's work. Specifically, how will you work to reduce inequalities through your responsibilities? 300 words.
Resume and Letter of Offer Uploads
Build your resume with Hiatt's resume resources. Create or update your existing resume with Hiration, an online resume-building tool to help you quickly create professional-looking resumes. Completely customize the look of your resume, check your resume score, and send your resume for review right in Hiration.
After you have a draft, make an Express Appointment with Hiatt Advisors for quick help with resume review.
Letter of Offer
The letter of offer should indicate that you’ve had a conversation with your supervisor and identify a strong fit between your goals and the experience the organization can provide. Share this Employer Letter of Offer Details document with your organization.
Your letter should include:
- Dates of the internship (which must be at least 8 weeks and 200 hours)
- Confirmation the internship is unpaid
- Your responsibilities in detail
- Acknowledgement and support of your learning goals
- Details on how you will be supervised (if you will be working off-site or off-hours, including remote hours, please indicate that)
- Preferably be on company letterhead, signed by your supervisor
Selection and Notification
Applications will be evaluated by Brandeis staff members based on learning goals, strength of invitation, preparedness, and maturity for the experience, match between goals and host organization and additional criteria (explore the rubric).
All applicants will be notified by email of the selection committee's decision by mid-April.
- Upcoming Events
- Start Exploring
- Make Connections
- Gain Experience
- Navigate Resources
- Find Where Brandeisians Go
- Learn About Us
Hiatt Career Center
415 South Street
Waltham, MA 02453