Virtual Fair GuideHiatt-sponsored premiere career fairs are designed to help students meet, connect and learn from employers and alumni that currently work in a variety of fields and industries. Though most organizations will be looking to recruit candidates for full-time and internship positions at these events, it also presents YOU with the opportunity to grow your network, ask questions and practice meeting employers in a virtual setting.
Expect to interact with representatives from top organizations around the Boston area and beyond. Select graduate school representatives will also be in attendance at most events to showcase program offerings related to advertised industries.
You should attend a career fair to...
- Learn exclusive insights about companies, roles, the hiring process and what makes a good candidate.
- Make meaningful connections with employers and alumni in the field.
- Explore job and internship openings (this is your opportunity to ask specific questions about the role you hope to apply to!).
- Practice your pitch and work out any nerves or kinks with what you want to say. Employers know that this is an event for you to learn, inquire and practice; so don't worry about perfection!
All undergraduate students are welcome regardless of major, class year or career goals.
Post-Registration Steps for Virtual Fairs on Handshake
Now that you have confirmed your attendance, we need you to complete some additional steps so you can meet directly with employers and be prepared for the fair.
Step 1: Set your Handshake account privacy settings to “Community” to sign up for sessions with employers. Most profiles are on this setting but to verify, click on your initials in the top right corner of your account and select “settings and privacy.” The community option will be the primary choice under privacy.
Step 2: Sign up for sessions - sign-up for group (30 minutes) or one-on-one sessions (10 minutes) ahead of time with the employers you are interested in meeting.
*Tip: You’ll want to schedule one-on-one sessions with the employers that you are most interested in.
NOTE: Please check back often as employers will be opening up more sessions before the event. You can also sign up for sessions the day of if slots are available!
Step 3: Add this event to your calendar - on the day of the fair, be ready to log into your Handshake account to join your scheduled video sessions. You’ll want a working video camera to participate in sessions. If you do not have a camera on your computer, join using the Handshake mobile app or just use your computer’s microphone.
Location & Schedule
This event will be held online through our career management and event database, Handshake. It will run during the allocated hours and student registration is required.
*Students MUST register for a group or 1:1 session. There will be no "general" gathering for all attendees.
What To Expect
Students should expect to come to this event prepared as if they were attending in-person. Not only is there a live video component, there are also opportunities to meet one-on-one with an employer in a virtual room.
The fair will consist of 30+ organizations and graduate schools representing the business, consulting and finance industries. After registering for your group or 1:1 sessions, go back into Handshake and review information about your desired organization(s) including job descriptions and company overviews. Prior to the event, review this video tutorial on how to register, schedule your sessions and participate in the fair and how to participate in a fair in a virtual setting (including do's and don'ts).
How to Prepare
- Prior to the event, all attendees should have an updated Handshake profile that includes their most updated work information, career interests, desired work location as well as a newly updated and uploaded resume. This will help you apply to positions that you are interested in much more quickly and will let employers know what you are interested in when they are recruiting in the system.
- As mentioned above, students should have their resume up to date. If you need assistance, make an appointment with Hiatt (in-person or virtually) or sign- up for an Express Appointment with a Hiatt Advisor (in-person).
- Find a quiet spot where you can be away from distractions and participate in the fair. Ideally, you want a space that looks professional, has good lighting and does not have a lot of noise.
- Dress the part even though it is online. Present yourself as you would if you were meeting the employer in-person.
- Keep a positive attitude! We are all navigating this online world and still figuring it all out. Be open to some of the potential challenges that technology can present and remain professional throughout.
Virtual fairs are new for all of us and preparation goes a long way. Here are some resources to help you prepare for what to expect:
Photo & Video Notice
Photographs and/or video will be taken during Brandeis Career Fairs by Hiatt Career Center staff. Images and video content may be used for social media, publications, website, and other purposes. If you wish to not be photographed, please inform a Hiatt staff during the event.