When Plans Change: Maximizing Your Summer
Your summer career plans may look a little different than anticipated this year, and you may be wondering how to best fill in some of those resume gaps. Here are ten ways you can make the most out of your summer while building some career-ready skills.
- Update your LinkedIn profile to include your most recent work experience, skills, coursework and more. Get started with this LinkedIn profile check-list.
- Discover free courses with UniversalClass, Khan Academy and Coursera.
- Explore remote work: micro-internships, remote jobs via indeed.com
- Create a digital resume/portfolio. Some additional online resources include Weebly, WIX and Behance.
- Develop a new skill via LinkedIn Learning - free for Brandeis students.
- Network with Brandeis alumni on LinkedIn to discover new fields, industries and interests.
- Touch base with your academic advisor about summer coursework.
- Complete an independent project or conduct research (Brandeis Community Based Research, plan for your capstone, build a website, launch an online business i.e. on Etsy, code a video game and more!
- Learn a new language using resources like Duolingo, Memrise, or Babbel.
- Strategize with a counselor in Hiatt to plan for what’s next. Make your appointment in Handshake.