Course Retention Policy
ObjectiveInformation Technology Services (ITS) is instituting a course retention policy with the following objectives:
- Define how long course materials contained within the LATTE (Moodle) Learning Management System will be retained.
- Describe best practices on how to backup and import LATTE (Moodle) course materials.
- Optimize performance of Latte (Moodle).
Many faculty find it valuable to refer back to prior iterations of course materials in LATTE. At the same time, LATTE is not designed for unlimited course storage, and carrying materials over indefinitely can diminish the performance of the application and divert resources better used on current support and enhancements.
All Brandeis University faculty/instructors who deliver courses in LATTE.
The Course Retention Policy is effective January 1, 2019.
The retention period will be 6 academic terms, as many courses repeat every other year. Courses older than 6 terms will be archived, after which they will be recoverable for one additional year.
Note: Courses created prior to the Spring 2017 academic term will be archived and courses created prior to the Spring 2016 academic term and older will be removed from the system.
Best Practices for Saving Course Materials
If there are materials from earlier course sites that you wish to save, there are three quick and easy options:
- You can create a course backup file and save it to Box, Google Drive or other storage. This file will later need to be restored within Latte (Moodle) before you can pull out individual items, but it maintains the organization of the files more exactly. It also includes all of your Latte (Moodle) activities such as assignments, quizzes, etc. The ability to restore a course backup completely accurately may decrease over time.
- You can download all instructor files and save the resulting folder full of files to Box, Google Drive or elsewhere. This allows you to pick and choose to re-use individual files, but does not maintain the course structure or any course activities. This solution should have high longevity.
- You can print and/or save a PDF of your course page as a record of your course organization. Our Latte (Moodle) course pages are printer friendly, so that a printed course page can serve in many cases as a course syllabus. This solution has high longevity.
To retrieve and restore an archived course (i.e., older than 6 terms), please refer to the following:
- If the course is from Legacy Latte, submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org; include the course name and the term that it took place
- If the course is in the current LATTE system (not Legacy Latte), follow instructions outlined here: https://kb.brandeis.edu/display/LTS/Import+Course+Materials+from+another+course