- Warranty repair service for eligible Dell and Apple computers (for university-owned and student machines only)
- Software-based data backup and recovery services for university-owned computers and student computers (for a fee)
- The Repair Shop does not repair printers, scanners, televisions, game systems, or mobile devices (e.g., smartphones)
What to Expect at Your Repair Shop Visit
- Please visit the Technology Help Desk to consult with a Technology Help Desk representative.
- The technician will ask questions to gain as much information about the issue as possible and determine whether your computer will need to be dropped off for service. It's recommended that you backup your data beforehand. Students can elect to pay a fee for data backup if the issue makes data backup impossible.
- A power adapter is required to be dropped off with all laptops. Laptops cannot be checked in without a power adapter.
- The Help Desk does not take in any laptop sleeves and will ask you to remove any cases during the intake process.
- If the Help Desk deems that a hardware repair is necessary, they will escalate the ticket to the Repair Shop for further diagnostics.
- For Apple repairs, the computer must be unenrolled from Find My Mac and the customer must provide their phone number and home mailing address. This data is required by Apple and is not used by the repair shop.
- Personal and University-owned computers may incur fees if the repair is not covered under warranty. If repairing your computer will cost you (or your department) money, the Repair Shop will get in touch with you via email with a quote:
- If you approve the quote, repair will proceed. If you do not approve, the computer will be reassembled and returned to you.
- If your computer requires work beyond the capabilities of the Repair Shop, you will be contacted with a quote for off-site service. The same approval process applies.
- Please respond promptly to our emails for fastest service. Replying by email (not by phone or personal visit) from a brandeis.edu account is the most expedient way; to ensure that our ticketing system informs us of your response, please don't change the subject line or email address.
- If payment is not needed or you have prepaid, you can pick up your computer at the Help Desk during business hours.
- If payment is needed, you can pick up your computer at the Repair shop during Repair Shop hours.
- Please make an appointment for pickup to ensure that someone will be at the Repair Shop when you arrive.
- The Repair Shop accepts departmental chargelines, cash (exact change only), personal check, or WhoCash.
- WhoCash can be charged via credit card, but the Repair Shop does not directly accept credit card payments.
- Charges must be paid in full to pick up your computer.
- Computers abandoned at the Repair Shop for six months after last communication will be recycled in an environmentally friendly manner.
To give you the best service possible, the Repair Shop may opt to send your machine out to an off-site vendor for repair that can't be effectively executed by our in-house technicians. This is only done with your express approval and any costs associated with an off-site repair will be disclosed ahead of time.
Reasons why the Repair Shop might need to escalate a repair to an off-site vendor:
- Liquid damage
- Data recovery beyond our capabilities
Additionally, since the Repair Shop is only equipped to repair Dell and Apple computers under manufacturer warranty, repairs for other situations (brands or out of warranty) are best serviced by third-party vendors.
- Support & Resources
- IT Governance
- Information Security
- Data Governance
- About Us