Setting Up & Using Duo
Faculty, staff and students are automatically enrolled in Duo two-factor authentication. You will be prompted to enroll in Duo when trying to log in to campus systems or services such as Google Mail, Workday or LATTE.
The following instructions guide you through the Duo enrollment and device set-up process. Please review the helpful Device Options to learn more about the various authentication method(s) for each type of device (e.g., smartphone, landline).
Getting ReadyYou will need to use two different devices to complete this process:
- A smartphone, tablet or landline that you normally have with you when logging into Brandeis services.
- A secondary device that is connected via wireless or data connection such as computer or tablet. If you don't have both of these available, please contact the Technology Help Desk.
Setting Up Duo
- Go to duo.brandeis.edu on a device that you won't be using to authenticate with Duo (i.e., not your smartphone).
- Click "Next" when prompted with the Duo enrollment window.
3. Click "Next" again when you see the "Did you know?" window.
4. Click "Next" once more when you see the "What can you do?'" window.
5. Select the option that you prefer to log into Duo with.
We recommend using a smartphone or tablet for the best experience. We recommend setting up the Duo Mobile App on your smartphone. Complete step 4 to set up your smartphone.
If you are using a tablet: Follow the smartphone instructions below and click "I have a tablet" when setting up Duo Mobile.
If you are using a landline: Skip to the Landline Instructions below.
6. If you click on the Duo Mobile option, you will be asked to add a phone number or asked to add a tablet instead. Enter your phone number and click, "Add phone number."
7. Afterwards, you'll be asked to check the phone number that you have entered. Click on "Yes, it's correct" if that is the correct number you want for Duo and if it is not click on "No, I need to change it" to go back and change your number to the correct one.
8. You will be asked to download the Duo Mobile App from either the App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android). Click "Next" after you have the Duo Mobile App installed on your smartphone.
9. You will then be shown a screen to either scan the QR Code or click to get an activation link.
- To scan the QR Code, you’ll need to open the Duo Mobile app, click on "Set up account" and then click on "Use a QR code." This will allow you to scan the QR Code on screen and set-up Duo Mobile on your smartphone.
- To get an activation link instead of using the QR Code, click on "Get an activation link instead."
- You'll be brought to a new window to send a Duo activation link to an email address. Enter any email address that you have access to and click "Send Email."
You will be told that the email is sent. Check the email address you sent on your smartphone and click the link. The continue button screen will change and will now be clickable.
10. After you scan the QR code or activate with the activation link, your smartphone will be added to Duo Mobile. Since you added a phone number, you can also use the text messages and phone call option within. Click "Continue."
11. You'll then be asked if you want another way to login to Duo but you can click "Skip for now."
12. Your smartphone will now be enrolled with Duo and you will be ready to log into your Brandeis account.
Duo Landline Instructions
1. To set up your landline with Duo, click on "Phone number."
2. You'll be asked to enter your phone number enter that and click the checkbox for "This is a landline phone',," when that is completed click on "Add phone number."
3. On the next screen, you'll be asked to enter an extension for your landline. If this is not relevant, click "Skip this step."
4. Afterwards, you'll be asked to check the phone number that you’ve entered. Click on "Yes, it's correct" if that is the correct number you want for Duo and if not click on "No, I need to change it" to go back and change your number to the correct one.
5. On the next screen, you'll see that your landline is set up with Duo. Click "Continue."
6. You'll then be asked if you want another way to login to Duo but you can click "Skip for now."
7. Your landline will now be enrolled with Duo and you'll be ready to log into your Brandeis account.
Using DuoOnce you have enrolled, you will need to follow these steps to login to Brandeis systems and services:
- Your Brandeis username and password.
- Authenticate using Duo on your two-factor authentication device (e.g., smartphone, tablet).
- With Duo Push (recommended): Choosing this option will cause your smartphone to send you a notification. Simply open this notification when it appears and choose "Approve" to authenticate.
- With Duo Mobile Passcode: When opening the Duo mobile app, it will display a six-digit code which you can enter after selecting "Enter a Passcode" from the authentication screen.
- If you have a hardware token, select "Enter a Passcode," press the button on the token, then enter the code the token displays.
- With Text message passcode: This will send a text message to your phone. Once received, you can enter the Duo passcode that was texted to authenticate.
- With a Phone call: This will call your phone. Once answered, you will be prompted to press any key to approve the authentication request.
- With Bypass Code: This is a code that is gotten from the Technology Help Desk after you call in and verify your identity with the Help Desk staff.
- Manage Devices: You can also add other authentication methods with this option.
Please review the Duo Two-Factor Authentication FAQs for helpful information to commonly asked questions.
If you are still unable to add your device to Duo using the instructions above and information in the FAQs, please contact the Technology Help Desk.