The List (People) content type allows you to create a list of people (faculty, staff, UDRs, etc.) that includes each person’s title, contact information, and a short bio.
This content type utilizes blocks, so you must create a block before you add it to the page. If you wish to display a photo of the person (optional), your very first step is to prepare and upload the photo file.
Step 1: Prepare and upload an image (optional)
The system doesn’t require a People Block to contain an image, but good portraits are recommended because they can enliven a people listing. The Brandeis Office of Communications is available to take professional photos of members of your department.
Outside of the CMS environment, select an image of the person and size it to 340 pixels square using Photoshop or similar software. We recommend naming files with a lastname-firstname.jpg format (e.g., brandeis-louis.jpg).
In the CMS, create a folder for images; a large department may find it useful to create folders for images > staff, images > faculty, etc. Use +Add Content > Upload File to upload one or more images to your folder. See the page on uploading files for specific instructions on how to upload an image file.
Step 2: Create a People Block
- Navigate to _blocks > reusable. Once there, you may want to create a folder called people or faculty. Then, click +Add Content > People Block.
Note: Each People Block contains one person. You will have to create a People Block for every person in your list.
Enter a XHTML/Data Definition Block Name at the top of the screen.
The Block Name is the name that is displayed in the navigation panel in Cascade. Unlike a page name, the Block Name of a People Block will not appear in a URL. Make sure your Placement Folder is pointing to the proper folder.
Best Practice: Keep the block name short; use only lowercase letters, numbers and dashes. Do not use spaces or underscores. We recommend using a lastname-firstname naming format for all People Blocks (e.g., brandeis-louis).
Under Type, select the Faculty or Staff radio button.
The Faculty option includes fields for Second Title and Office Hours. A person does not have to be an actual faculty member to use the Faculty option.
A. Add Image is checked by default. Uncheck (and go to step 5) if you don’t want to have an image included.
B. Click the Choose File box under "Image" to launch the Chooser Panel; browse to the image you have already uploaded.
In the Name field, enter the person’s name.
If you would like to link to a person’s Faculty Guide page, bio or website, select the Link Type and then fill in the appropriate link.
- Office Hours are an optional field for faculty. AP style requires that times appear as a.m. and p.m. (not AM or A.M. or am).
Fill in the remaining fields as necessary. Use the Short Bio WYSIWYG form to include a short bio or other information.
- Click the three dots ("kabob" menu) next to Preview Draft at the top right. Then, click Check Content & Submit to save your page. The spelling/link checker window will appear. If the checks find any issues, you will need to review those issues (by expanding the lists under Results). You will not be able to submit your People Block until you have reviewed the list of issues found. Once you have reviewed and corrected any issues (if necessary), click the blue check mark to finish submitting your People Block. Your People Block is not saved until you click this checkmark, even if you have no spelling or link errors.
Repeat this process for any other person who needs to be included in the list.
Note: Now that you have created a block for this person, this block can be used in any List (People) on your site. For example, maybe one of your faculty members is also speaking at an event you are having. You could use the same People Block in each List (People).
Step 3: Add People Blocks to a Page
- Find the page you want to add the People Block to and click Edit.
- In the Content editor, select the List (People) radio button and expand > People List.
- Enter a Heading (e.g., Faculty, Staff, Faculty Emeriti).
- Click the Choose Block box to launch the Chooser Panel, which will let you browse to the People Block you created.
A. To add another person to the list, click the plus icon (+) above any People Block; to remove a person from the list, click the delete icon ( x ) above the People Block you wish to delete.
Click the three dots ("kabob" menu) next to Preview Draft at the top right. Then, click Check Content & Submit to save your page. The spelling/link checker window will appear. If the checks find any issues, you will need to review those issues (by expanding the lists under Results). You will not be able to submit your page until you have reviewed the list of issues found. Once you have reviewed and corrected any issues (if necessary), click the blue check mark to finish submitting your page. Your page is not saved until you click this checkmark, even if you have no spelling or link errors.
Sample People List
Louis Dembitz Brandeis (1856-1941), a towering legal and judicial figure, was instrumental in shaping modern American jurisprudence. His principles and ideas on the law, democracy and society are as relevant and useful today as they were in the first half of the 20th century — a time when individual liberties and the workaday world for average citizens often collided with growing governmental and corporate power. Brandeis' legacy offers enduring guidance as society addresses many complex issues of inclusion, equity and government power in the 21st century.