Academic Services

Understanding Academic Standing

Students are placed on the Dean's List when they have earned a GPA in the preceding semester of 3.50 or higher and have not received a D, E, U, or NC (labs and physical education included) or more than one C; and have received a regular letter grade in at least three regular, four-credit courses.

  • Seniors doing honors work (a course numbered 99) in the fall term may receive an "S" in that course and still be eligible (if enrolled in three other regularly grades four-credit courses). Students are not eligible for consideration until all permanent grades have been recorded by the Office of the University Registrar. Deans Lists students receive formal acknowledgement of this achievement from the Office of Academic Services.

  • Students are in good academic standing when they earn a semester grade point average of at least 2.000, have not received a grade of E or NC, and no more than one grade in the range (D+, D, or D-).

  • Advising alert is considered good academic standing, but serves as an indicator to the student that they are not performing at the academic level expected by the university. Students who receive a single grade of D with a semester GPA of at least 2.000 will be placed on Advising Alert. Students with cumulative grade point averages of 2.200 or below will also be placed on Advising Alert.

  • Probation is an official notation that satisfactory academic progress is not being achieved. Students whose semester record contains one or more grades of E or NC or two or more grades in the range (D+, D, D-) will be placed on probation. Students whose semester record contains a single grade in the range (D+, D, D-) will be placed on probation if the semester GPA is below 2.000. Students placed on probation will normally be returned to good academic standing following a semester of satisfactory grades (grades of C- and above).

The following chart defines academic standing:

Semester Record Semester GPA Less Than 2.000 Semester GPA 2.000 or Greater
No grade below C- Good standing, unless cum GPA is below 2.2, in which case Advising Alert Good standing, unless cum GPA is below 2.2, in which case Advising Alert
1 D Probation Advising Alert
2 Ds, 1E, or 1 NC Probation Probation

If a student receives more than one D, E, U, or NC in a single semester or if a student has had multiple semesters with unsatisfactory grades, the student may be required to withdraw from the university because of a lack of academic progress.

A student may be required to withdraw from the university even if the student has not been on advising alert or probation in a prior semester. The university may require a student to withdraw at any time, should the university determine that the student's academic performance is so profoundly deficient as to suggest an inability to meet academic requirements. Students are informed in writing of any change in academic status.

The academic standing of students who earn unsatisfactory grades will be reviewed at the end of each semester by the Committee on Academic Standing according to the above stated definitions. Letter grades covered by "pass" will not be used in computing grade point averages but will be considered by COAS when determining academic standing.

Students with two or more unsatisfactory grades who are placed on probation will have their parent(s) and/or guardian(s) notified. Parents will also be notified when a student changes their status at the university either by voluntarily withdrawing or by being required to withdraw by COAS. The student's academic adviser will also be notified of a student's academic standing.

A student with an unsatisfactory record who either voluntarily withdraws from the university or who is required to withdraw from the university may petition to return to the university. COAS will consider petitions for readmission. The student is expected to spend a minimum of one year away from the university.

Primary considerations in making readmission decisions are evidence of sustained and productive activity during the period of absence from the campus, evidence of serious academic purpose, and pertinent letters of recommendation attesting to the candidate's readiness to resume formal study.

Courses taken for academic credit while on voluntary or involuntary withdrawal from the university are not eligible for transfer toward the Brandeis degree. Petitions for readmission for a fall semester must be received no later than May 1 and petitions for readmission for a spring semester must be received no later than November 1.