Pre-Health Winter Break Program 2023-24
The Sophomore Check-In is a halfway checkpoint open for all pre-health sophomores at Brandeis. This process allows students to create achievable goals toward preparing for health profession schools.
- Sophomores of all majors and health professions are highly encouraged to participate. Sophomores who feel uncertain about their future health care careers are welcomed!
- Sophomores meet with a pre-health advisor for discussion of goals and to receive guidance based on exercise submissions.
- Sophomores develop the essential skill sets needed to find clinical and research opportunities, connect to health care providers for shadowing, and build mentors needed for letters of recommendation.
- While this program is optional, we expect that sophomores who are planning for no glide year(s) (immediate start of health profession program after graduating) or applying to early assurance programs will complete the Sophomore Check-In by the deadline in order to stay on-track with support.
PARTICIPATION PRIZES: All sophomores who complete the Sophomore Check-In by the program deadline (Jan. 26) will be:
- Entered to win a raffle for a free test prep book series. Examples of test prep books can include MCAT, DAT, OAT, PCAT, GRE, and more.
- Receive strong consideration when applying to the Brandeis Summer Shadowing Program
To complete the Sophomore Check-In, students will take the following steps:
- Watch the Sophomore Check-In Webinar. This occurs in the winter break of sophomore year after the program launch for the year (Dec. 8)
- Complete the Sophomore Check-In forms via Slate account. Forms include the following exercises with detailed guidance:
- School Exploration Exercise
- Build a Resume and Plans for Experiences
- Build a Course and Application Plan
- How to Build Mentors and Begin Networking
- Develop Your Reason for Pursuing Healthcare
- Schedule a Sophomore Check-In meeting with a Pre-Health Advisor. In this meeting, you’ll discuss your progress on the pre-health track and creating achievable goals moving forward. This meeting is recommended to be 45 to 60 minutes in length.
Sophomore Check-In Launch 2023-2024
Sophomore Check-In Deadline
“Coming out of the Sophomore Check-In, not only do I now have achievable goals to make myself a better applicant, but I have also developed a closer relationship with my Pre-Health advisor. This experience has helped me feel less intimidated and more prepared to tackle the medical school application process.”
Stacey Kwan, '22
Sophomore Check-In Participant