Passports and Visas

U.S. Students: Passports

Applying for Your Passport

If you do not currently have a passport, you should start the application process as soon as possible. For application information and instructions, please visit the Department of State website. Renewal information can also be found on the Department of State website.

All passports should be valid for 6 months following your return to the United States. If you haven't already, check your expiration date now.

Passport Tips

  • Make copies — both paper and digital — of the first few pages of your passport including any visas. Give one copy to a family member or friend to keep at home and email a copy to yourself. Having a copy will facilitate replacement if your passport is lost or stolen.
  • In some countries, it is recommended that you carry a copy of your passport, while in others, you should carry the actual passport with you at all times. Check with your program to determine where you should keep your passport.

International Students: Passports

If you hold a passport from another country other than the United States, please check with your country's authorities for information on passports and entry requirements.

U.S. Students: Visas/Residence Permits

A visa is your key to enter and leave another country. Visas are issued by a consulate or embassy of that country and must be obtained before you can cross that country's border. Please check with your program or university about specific application procedures, requirements, and documentation required for your host country. Apply early for your visa and be sure that you have all of the materials required by the Consulate. Contact your program with any questions related to visa requirements.

Brandeis-run study abroad program students will be guided through the visa and/or residence permit process before the start of their program.

International Students: Visas/Residence Permits

If you are an international student in the United States on an F-1 or J-1 visa, you must meet with the International Students and Scholars Office before your departure to discuss your U.S. visa status while abroad and your re-entry to the U.S. Please email the ISSO or set up an appointment with an ISSO advisor.