Studying abroad can have lasting impacts. We've asked Brandeis alumni to reflect back on their study abroad experience and think about how their time studying in another country and culture impacted their future path.
Below you'll find alumni experiences ordered by academic discipline. By clicking on the individual's name you'll be able to read about their experience and how studying abroad led to their current (as of 2022) career path.
Are you a Brandeis alumnus? Would you like to have your experience featured? Email email@example.com to request the form needed to complete a profile.
Many alumnae of Brandeis are positively impacted by their studies abroad. Some examples include:
- Thomas Friedman ’75 - Journalist and author, studied abroad at Hebrew University in Jerusalem and American University in Cairo, Egypt. Later as a Marshall Scholar he earned a M.Phil from St. Antony's College at the University of Oxford.
- Marta Kauffman ’78 - Studied abroad in London, UK (Co-creator of "Friends" and other notable television programs).
- Debra Messing ’90 - Studied theatre abroad in London, UK. (Grace Adler on "Will and Grace" and other notable acting roles.)
- Weldon Kennedy ’06 - Studied abroad with CIEE/Senegal and SIT/Vietnam and is currently the Global Development Director for Change.org based in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Elana Fox ’08 - Studied abroad with SIT/Kenya and is now the country manager for OneAcreFund.org in Bolgatanga, Ghana.
- Beneva Davies ’13 - Interned abroad for the Special Court on Sierra Leone while abroad on Brandeis in The Hague. She is now a Children's Rights Advocate with the Human Rights Watch in New York City.