Affording Study Abroad

Information on this page is specific to students interested in semester or year programs abroad. Read more about summer finances here.

Who Do I Pay?

What Financial Aid Can I Bring?

What Financial Aid Cannot Come With Me? 

  • Malkin Scholarship
  • Slifka Scholarship
  • Federal Work Study and University Employment
  • VA benefits only apply to certain programs. Please speak further with an Office of Study Abroad staff member if you receive VA benefits and would like to study abroad.


If you have financial aid in excess of your Brandeis charges, there are a few things to know about your refund:

  • Per Federal regulation, checks are processed beginning 10 days prior to the start of the Brandeis semester.
  • This may require deferment of your study abroad program bill. Many programs will work with you to defer your bill until you receive your refund. Bring any program-provided forms to Student Financial Services to be completed.
  • Refunds of Federal or Institutional money are to be used for educational purposes only (i.e., room and board, spending money, etc.)

Can I Afford My Program?

Things to consider:

  • The amount of financial aid you receive
  • The cost of the program you are interested in
  • Brandeis tuition may change each year

Where Can I Find Additional Funds?

Many students will apply for one or more study abroad scholarships. Please meet with a Study Abroad Advisor to speak further about scholarships.