Environmental Studies

A hut on the water in Panama


There are many options all over the world for students interested in Environmental Studies to study abroad. Many Environmental Studies majors will study abroad to complement their course work on campus, gain hands-on experience, research environmental policy, and more. This page contains information that will assist Environmental Studies majors in determining how to integrate study abroad into their Brandeis careers.

Sample of Approved Programs with Environmental Studies Coursework

Studying abroad on a pre-approved program is one of three ways Environmental Studies majors and minors can fulfill the ENVS Applied Learning Experience requirement. Review this list to see all programs pre-approved by Environmental Studies to fulfill this requirement.

Visit the Brandeis Approved Programs List to search a range of study abroad programs, but note that not all of these programs are pre-approved to fulfill the ENVS Applied Learning Experience. You can also filter options or search for unique program traits like internships or research. Additional programs might have acceptable coursework, but this list shows the primary locations where ENVS courses may be available.

Study Abroad Liaison

To assist students with their academic choices abroad and to help answer any questions about receiving major/minor credit while abroad, each academic department and program has assigned a faculty member to serve as the Study Abroad Liaison. As every department has different policies regarding credit from abroad, the Study Abroad Liaison can assist you with guidance on major/minor credit. Find the Study Abroad Liaison for Environmental Studies here.

Receiving Credit in Environmental Studies

Students wishing to receive credit in Environmental Studies for coursework done off-campus during the academic year should discuss these plans with the Study Abroad Liaison. All students as part of their application process for either a summer or semester term abroad will be required to have a course proposal reviewed by the department if they wish to receive credit in that major/minor. For the semester, this is an initial conversation and students should continue to discuss plans with the department as they have more course information (syllabi, etc.). For the summer, courses are pre-approved. Upon return, semester students should complete the Petition to Request Substitution for a Requirement form for final and formal review. 


Student Experience

Matt Smetana

Major: Environmental Studies

Program: SFS/Australia: Rainforest Biodiversity

"I wanted to find a program that would give me an in-depth look into the ecology and environmental problems facing my host region. It was also very important to be surrounded by other passionate people excited to learn and explore together."

Read Matt's Profile